Saturday 7 July 2012

Pineapples & AFIA


I have to start by apologising for being awol the past couple of weeks – I just returned home from uni (for good) and have been trying to sort all the clutter/fabric/and my life out; I’ll keep you posted on how that’s going (my bedroom currently looks as though the past 3 years of my life have just exploded in it – who knew I had such ridiculous amounts of STUFF?)... but if you don’t hear from me for a good few months, then assume that I am STILL jobless and have been forced to sell all of my belongings, declare myself bankrupt, and have hitched a ride to the tropical islands of Hawaii where I will reside for 7 years until my student loans are completely written off. And let’s be honest, I probably wouldn’t ever come back. Fresh pineapples flow over there like rain flows here in England – that alone is reason enough for me to JET.

So today guys & dolls, I bring youuuuuu: AFIA. A women’s award-winning - and sustainable - clothing line, sourced and sewn entirely in Ghana (West Africa). 


The bold and quirky designs are all courtesy of Meghan Sebold’s creative mind (really sophisticated and wearable pieces with interesting prints that are nothing like the stereotypical ‘ethical’ clothing that most people think of - the clothes are a clear fusion of the vibrant African textiles with American trends). Meghan also handpicks the cotton wax fabric used in the garments from the markets in Accra (Ghana’s capital city), and fabric is printed in Ghana too in an effort to support the textile industry and showcase the traditional African fabrics that the markets have to offer. 

AFIA is a social business, and therefore believes in creating prosperity for ALL of the people involved in every aspect of the label. They stand firmly for transparency, mutual respect, and collaboration. And they also hope to eliminate all of those misconceptions that I was talking about regarding the aesthetics of sustainable fashion and production in Africa (it IS a business, not a ‘charity’ project).

Buy and wear AFIA because you love it. And feel good about your informed purchase, because you’re helping to support a bundle of goodness on our planet. AFIA can also be purchased from FashioningChange – an online fashion retailer that only stocks ethical/fair-trade/sustainable labels that are making positive waves in the fashion industry.


I think there’s something really special about owning an item that represents someone’s story somewhere... maybe on the other side of the world. You’ll probably never meet them, but you’ve touched their life in a way that you’ll never quite fully grasp. You’ve helped them to build a livelihood for themselves and their families. You’ve made a difference; and although they don’t know you, they’ll never forget you. 










P.S I know this isn’t fashion related in any shape or form, but I just have to share it with you because it’s BANANAWESOME. Tunes for Change is a non-profit aimed at using the passion of music to create positive social change.
How it works: Artists donate a song, the songs are then compiled to form an exclusive quarterly album, you then donate what you want for the album, and finally, all proceeds go to charity
It’s such a great idea, and hasn’t been going for very long, and always showcases up-coming artists that are definitely worth checking out. So go take a look, and download the current album today before it disappears into a black world-wide-web-shaped hole forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment